KACHEA Board Policies and Procedures
Updated September 7, 2021
Our purpose is to glorify God by encouraging and assisting those parents who have chosen to educate their children at home. This group has been in existence since 1991. KACHEA membership includes approximately 150 families, who are members of various church denominations. While participants are not required to be Christian, however, those in leadership must be Christian and agree and adhere to KACHEA’s statement of faith and code of conduct (both included below).
The KACHEA Board must review and approve all KACHEA affiliated events, policies and guidelines, sports teams and leadership, and any future revisions of leadership or policies. Furthermore, the KACHEA Board must approve all persons proposed for leadership roles. This official policies and procedures document outlines the requirements for sports teams, events, and leadership.
Participation Guidelines for KACHEA Membership and Sports Teams
Families who have chosen to educate their children at home are eligible to be members of KACHEA.
- The KACHEA Board has adopted Eligibility Standards for participation in all KACHEA sports teams (revised September 4, 2018). Those standards are as follows:
- The player has not graduated from high school;
- As of August 1 of the current school year, the player had not yet turned 19 years of age; and
- The player is registered as a homeschooler pursuant to the laws of the State of Tennessee (i.e. with an umbrella school or with the superintendent of the local public school system). If the player resides in another state (i.e. Virginia), the player is registered as a homeschooler pursuant to the laws of the applicable state.
- If a player repeats a year of high school and wishes to play sports for KACHEA in the player’s 5th year of high school, the player must be enrolled in four (4) or more classes, or the equivalent (if utilizing a block schedule), or if dual-enrolled, the equivalent number of classes. Furthermore, participation in KACHEA sports is limited to a total of eight (8) semesters at the high school level (including JV and Varsity), after entering 9th grade, regardless of whether participation is with KACHEA or another sports organization/school.
- All leaders, advisory board members, coaches, treasurers must sign a statement of faith and code of conduct. Furthermore, they must disclose any crimes of which they have been convicted or pled guilty and any current legal issues that are in process at the time they are being considered for leadership.
- Each sports or event director must attend a board meeting prior to the beginning of the season (before the first game) or prior to the event. They must also submit the director's checklist (see below) for review and approval by the KACHEA Board. In the event that a sports director or event director is unable to attend a board meeting prior to the start of their season or event, all checklist requirements and documentation will still be required to be submitted to one or more board members. Clear and timely communication of the completion of checklist requirements must be received by a board member to present to the board on behalf of the director. Following the board meeting, directors may be contacted for clarification and to set up attendance of a future board meeting. In the event that it is prohibitive for a director to attend a board meeting due to scheduling conflicts, a representative from the sports board may be sent as a proxy for the director. Any representative proxy will be expected to have full knowledge of the sports team or event status and be able to both answer questions and speak on behalf of the director. Proxies will also be expected to have all checklist requirements completed prior to attending a meeting.
- Recognizing the KACHEA Board would ultimately be responsible for the resolution of any legal issues, the individual advisory boards facing any situation involving legal, liability, or moral issues must communicate these situations to a board member as soon as possible.
- KACHEA requires that at least two adults be present at all KACHEA events where students are present without their parents, and additionally, requires a female adult be present at all girls sports team events.
- All athletic directors, coaches, and parent helpers must complete the online concussion training course at Nfhslearn.com and agree to comply as closely as possible with the course guidelines.
Sports Team or Event Director Checklist:
- Create and maintain a written code of conduct and participant guideline or handbook that outlines policies and procedures for all expectations of participants, including but not limited to, outlining disciplinary action.
- Along with other members of their program's advisory board, periodically review the written policies or guidelines and revise as needed, gaining the approval of the KACHEA Board for any written revisions.
- Communicate the program policies and guidelines to leaders, parents and participants. The KACHEA Board does not require but strongly advises directors to obtain a written acceptance of all policies, procedures and codes of conduct (i.e. a handbook).
- Make sure all participants are KACHEA members with a paid, current membership, prior to the start of the program. Directors are required to confirm all participants are active KACHEA members by either verifying the information themselves or requesting assistance from the KACHEA Membership coordinator. It is advised that the director access the password-protected online KACHEA membership directory for membership verification. Access to the directory can be obtained by contacting the KACHEA Membership coordinator.
- Submit an annual report to the KACHEA Board (including but not limited to a comprehensive financial statement) either at the end of the program each year or prior to the start of the program the following year. For guidance on how to craft a comprehensive financial statement, directors may contact the KACHEA Treasurer.
- Make sure all leadership positions have been approved by the KACHEA Board. Approval is contingent upon submission of a signed code of conduct, statement of faith and the authorization for an official background check. Official background checks are conducted by KACHEA’s designated third-party verification company and any leader must successfully pass such a check prior to Board approval. No leader may be assisting in any capacity prior to completion of these requirements. This is for the protection of all KACHEA families and to maintain consistency in our legal requirements and procedures.
- Make sure all program leadership is aware of the requirement that two adults be present at all events where students are present without their parents. Furthermore, it is required that a female adult be present at all girls sports team events. Directors commit to make all reasonable efforts to ensure that these requirements are carried out.
- Make sure all coaches and parent helpers have completed the online concussion training course at Nfhslearn.com and have agreed to comply. In addition, the athletic director is required to be in possession of signed certificates of completion of the course for all coaches and parent helpers.
- Set up a date and time to meet with the KACHEA Board at least one month prior to the start of a sports season (first game) or at least two weeks prior to a non-sports event.
Requirements for Sports or Event Advisory Boards:
- Each sporting group must form an advisory consisting of at least 2-3 members. This should include a director.
- Each sports team or event must designate a treasurer. The treasurer cannot be the director. Furthermore, two signers, plus the KACHEA treasurer are required on any sports team or event bank account for accountability.
- All funds collected under the KACHEA name belong to the KACHEA organization as does any equipment or uniforms purchased with KACHEA monies.
- The advisory board members, coaches, treasurers, and any other leaders must be approved by the KACHEA Board before their appointment. This includes any changes to the leadership proposed after the annual approval process. The criteria for rejection will be as follows:
a. Not signing the statement of faith or code of conduct.
b. The existence of any criminal record. (A felony record will automatically exclude any person from serving in leadership or coaching positions or any position resulting in legal liability.
c. Any conduct not in accordance with the guidelines stated in the sports team or event code of conduct, or demonstrating a disregard for or failure to adhere to the written KACHEA policies.
The sports teams and events currently under purview of the KACHEA Board include the following and must adhere to all requirements. (This list is not exhaustive nor exclusive and may expand as teams and events are added.)
Mom's Night Out
ABC's of Homeschooling
Used Book Sale
KACHEA Sponsored Field Trips
Statement of Faith and Code of Conduct
STATEMENT OF FAITH
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative, inerrant Word of God (II Timothy 3:15; II Peter 1:21).
- We believe there is only one God, eternally existent in three persons—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Genesis 1:1; Matthew 28:19; John 10:30).
- We believe in the deity of Christ (John 10:33); His virgin birth (Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:23; Luke 1:35); His sinless life (Hebrews 4:15; 7:26); His miracles (John 2:11); His vicarious and atoning death (I Corinthians 15:3; Ephesians 1:7; Hebrews 2:9); His resurrection (John 11:25; I Corinthians 15:4); His ascension to the right hand of the Father (Mark 16:19); His personal return in power and glory (Acts 1:11; Revelation 19:11).
- We believe that men are justified on the single ground of faith in the shed blood of Christ and that only by God’s grace and through faith alone we are saved (John 3:16-19; 5:24; Romans 3:23; 5:8-9; Ephesians 2:8-10; Titus 3:5).
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life, and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation (John 5:28-29).
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ (Romans 8:9; I Corinthians 12:12-13; Galatians 3:26-28).
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life (Romans 8:13-14; I Corinthians 3:16; 6:19-10; Ephesians 4:30; 5:18).
We believe that some groups call themselves Christians, but interpret the above statements in a manner contrary to essential Christian theology we hold to be true; therefore, members of groups such as Mormons, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Unitarian Universalists, and Christian Scientists are not eligible for leadership roles in KACHEA.
KACHEA reserves the right to perform background checks and/or drug screenings on all leadership positions.
I authorize KACHEA to receive any information from any law enforcement agency including police and sheriff's departments, of any state or federal government to the extent permitted by state and federal law, pertaining to any convictions I may have had for violations of state or federal criminal laws, including but not limited to, convictions for crimes committed upon children.
Please answer the following questions. For purposes of the questions below “you” means yourself or any company of which you are an owner or board member. However, company information is requested only for closely held (non-publically traded) businesses. Litigation information on public companies of which you are simply a stockholder is not requested.
Have you ever been convicted of, or pled guilty or “no contest” to any crime? Yes / No
Have you ever been a defendant in or otherwise involved as a party in any litigation (civil or criminal)? Yes / No
Are there any outstanding judgments against you? Yes / No
Do you know of any pending or threatened litigation against you? Yes / No
Please provide details for any “yes” answer above:
Kingsport Area Christian Home Education Association (KACHEA)
CODE OF CONDUCT
Since KACHEA doesn’t receive public funding, as a Christian organization we have the right to deny or revoke membership to any member that can’t agree with the following Code of Conduct.
We believe in God’s plan, human sexuality is to be expressed only within the context of marriage. God created man and woman as unique biological persons made to complete each other. God instituted monogamous marriage between male and female as the foundation of the family and the basic unit of structure of human society. For this reason we believe that marriage is exclusively the union of one genetic male and one genetic female. Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5-6; Mark 10:6-9; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9.*
(*adapted from Samaritan’s Purse statement of faith)
We believe a person’s biological sexuality has been created by God and therefore should be accepted as a gift and stewardship from God and not altered (Genesis 1:27).**
(**adapted from BSF policy in human sexuality)
People that choose to belong to KACHEA agree with and abide by this policy. Those who have differing opinions on human sexuality and marriage will be treated with love and compassion, but will not be allowed to participate in KACHEA activities because of disagreement with the Word of God.
For KACHEA leadership positions and participation, written agreement with this Code of Conduct and the Statement of Faith must be submitted to the KACHEA sports team director or event director.
I have reviewed and agree to adhere to all of the above policies. I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior and agree with the above Statement of Faith and Code of Conduct. By signing this form, I certify that the information set out by me above is true and correct to the best of my knowledge.
Print Name _______________________________________________________________________________________ Date_______________________________________
Signed Signature _________________________________________________________________________________________
KACHEA Board Policies and Procedures --- Updated September 7, 2021.docx
Size : 14.146 Kb
Type : docx
From: The KACHEA Board
Re: KACHEA’s Release of Liability
We all are strong believers in the Lord’s sovereign ability to protect and keep us all safe, healthy and injury-free when participating in any KACHEA event or activity. However, in the light of COVID-19 and the additional illness risks it may pose, along with the normal potential risks, we are opting to have participants sign a release of liability. This is a part of what the insurance we are required to carry as an entity has recommended.
We pray that everyone understands that we are not requesting releases prompted by fear but rather because we need to be compliant with the insurance recommendations.
We thank everyone for your understanding and declare over all members of KACHEA:
Psalm 91:10-11 “Because you have made the Lord, who is my refuge, Even the Most High, your dwelling place, No evil shall befall you, Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling; For He shall give His angels charge over you, To keep you in all your ways.” (NKJV)
2 Timothy 1:7 “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” (NKJV)
To complete a release of liability form, please see the leader of any event or activity while participating. You can also opt to view and print the liability form, complete it and have it ready to turn in at the next activity in which you or your child participates.
Liability forms are not required for low-contact, low-risk events such as the ABC's of Homeschooling but should be completed for any activity or event in which participants will be close together and interacting for extended periods of time.